VIP

Very Important Posts about diversity and inclusion that could transform your workplace.

MVP

Organizations and individuals recognized for their outstanding diversity efforts in the workplace or the community.

AHA!

Proven tips, tools & strategies that can effectively transform a workforce or an entire organization.

POV

Guest columnists who have been in the trenches and have something to say about it.

TOP

Easy, common sense steps for engaging a diverse workforce or creating a culture of inclusion.

Home » MVP

Diversity Champions — September 2013

Posted on September 1, 2013 – 6:38 pmNo Comment | 818 views

Winners of the inaugural Excellence in Governance Awards were announced recently by the Canadian Society of Corporate Secretaries. Shoppers Drug Mart was recognized for its Best Practices in Managing Boardroom Diversity.

The law firm Kilpatrick Townsend Stockton LLP has been named as an inaugural honoree of the William A. Blakey Diversity Pipeline Architects group by the American Bar Association‘s Council on Legal Education Opportunity (CLEO). CLEO’s mission is to diversify the legal profession and since its inception in 1968 has been at the forefront of helping minority, low-income and disadvantaged students gain access to law school, successfully matriculate and pass the bar exam.

Nine organizations that have made an outstanding contribution to community development and promoting cultural diversity were recognized at the annual New Zealand Diversity Awards. This year’s winners included Refugee Trauma Recovery and Voice Arts Trust.

Central Michigan University received the 2013 Inclusion Cultivates Excellence Award for its Excellence Though Inclusion initiative from the College and University Professional Association for Human Resources. The program was a collaborative effort between CMU Human Resources, the Multicultural Student Academic Success Office, Multicultural Education Center, Office of Gay and Lesbian Programs and Student Disability Services.

For the second time LATINA Style magazine has honored AT&T as Company of the Year for Hispanic women looking for a great place to work, learn, grow and lead.  AT&T was selected from more than 800 companies evaluated. The company also topped the LATINA Style 50 list in 2008, making it the first company to win the recognition twice.

Tutor Perini Corporation, a leading civil and building construction company, recently announced that its subsidiary, James A. Cummings, Inc., has been recognized as Corporation of the Year by the Central North Florida Minority Supplier Development Council (cnFMSDC). This award recognizes the firm’s leadership in implementing diversity development programs and ongoing mentoring of small and developing businesses.

The Interpublic Group (IPG) handed out its 2013 Inclusion Awards to agencies and employees within its US network who have shown leadership in advancing IPG’s goal of being among the world’s most diverse and inclusive companies. The honorees were: Octagon (Community Partnership Award, Gold), ID Media (Inclusive Talent Cultivation, Gold), Deutsch NY (Inclusive Marking Initiative of the Year, Gold), Jack Morton and Lowe SSP3 (Inclusive Marketing Initiative of the Year, Silver), GolinHarris (Multicultural Agency/Practice of the Year, Gold), McCann Worldgroup (Communication and Education Initiative, Gold), Draftfcb (Supplier Diversity Award), Orion Holdings (Most Inclusive Climate Award), Mike Lescarbeau, CEO, Carmichael Lynch (Individual Champion of Inclusion), and ID Media (Agency Champion of Inclusion).

EDF Energy has won the 2013 Private Sector Diversity and Inclusion Award from the Employers Network for Equality & Inclusion (ENEI). The award comes just 12 months after the company achieved the Diversity Works for London Gold Standard. Denise Keating, CEO, ENEI, said, “These awards recognize the commitment of organizations to achieving diverse and inclusive workplaces, celebrating the teams and individuals who really are making a difference.”

The National Press Club, the world’s leading professional organization for journalists, has chosen Nidhi Madhavan as the winner of its 2013 Scholarship for Journalism Diversity. The award for graduating high school seniors amounts to $10,000 over 4years. Madhavan, a reporter for RoundUp, the high school newspaper, and Quintessential Barrington, a local magazine, will be studying at Loyola University in Chicago.

Thompson Hine LLP has been nationally recognized once again for its leadership in advancing women within the legal profession. The firm has been selected as one of 2013’s 50 Best Law Firms for Women by Working Mother and Flex-Time Lawyers for maintaining family-friendly policies and business development initiatives designed to retain women and advance them in the leadership pipeline. This is the third consecutive year Thompson Hine has received this honor.

The Department of Biomedical Engineering at Cornell University has received the 2013 Biomedical Engineering Society Diversity Award. It is the first time the award has been given to a group or organization and acknowledged Cornell’s success in recruiting and retaining women and underrepresented minority students through its inclusive programming, faculty-student engagement, and cross-institutional partnerships and outreach.

Triangle Business Journal has unveiled its inaugural Leaders in Diversity Awards winners. The awards recognize businesses, individuals and nonprofits in North Carolina who have demonstrated respect or inclusive treatment of others, advocacy for underrepresented groups and multicultural marketing. Dean Smith, former men’s basketball coach at UNC-Chapel Hill, received the Lifetime Achievement Award, while Individual Awards went to the late Doris Barksdale, Carolina Hurricanes, Bill Bell, mayor of the City of Durham, Andrea Harris, NCIMED, and Stan Kimer, Total Engagement Consulting.

Vault Inc. has recognized the top-ranked law firms for diversity. For the fifth straight year, Carlton Fields was ranked the No. 1 firm for overall diversity. The 2014 Diversity Rankings are based on the results of Vault’s annual survey of approximately 17,000 associates. The firms at the top of the list received the highest ratings from their own associates for their commitment to advancing diversity and fostering an inclusive workplace.

Leave a comment!

You must be logged in to post a comment.
Click here to Login or Register